Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Time Card & E3

Hello.

As promised, here's the time card that I'll be using for my project. It's a simple spreadsheet I'm doing through excel, but I'm looking at creating a google document for those wanting to join.


In other news it's an exciting time to be a nerd. E3, the annual electronic entertainment expo is currently being held. I can't help but feel a little excitement at Halo 4 or how painful it may be to play Minecraft using a Kinect.

This got me thinking about gaming and teaching. I've only really used video games in the classroom as a way to build relationships with students. It's a privilege of the young, I realize, so I may as well use it while I can. I've previously served as staff advisor to both Guitar Hero and Pokemon' club.

Here are two resources you may be interested in should you also be a part time gamer. 

First, this blog from Joel Levin out of New York. He uses Minecraft in his computer class to some great results. 


I also had some time to read Reality is Broken by Jane McGonigal this Spring. It's not necessarily a pedagogical text, but is a very interesting read about the power of gaming to empower oneself. Her website is located at http://realityisbroken.org/.

More and more schools are getting out this week. Welcome to summer, and take some time for yourself!

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea/concept for this blog. I might even look at doing this as well. It would def be something to show the world what we do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen this blog:

    http://teachpaperless.blogspot.com/

    I've been trying to incorporate a few of the author's ideas in my classroom. I want to use more technology (including gaming if I can find a way) more in my classes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea for a blog, Chuck. I can't wait to join you. I've been revising my American Literature materials as well. I'm tweaking a lesson with The Crucible where I show a Doctor Who clip to discuss Mob Mentality.

    Let us know when you have the time sheet available as a google document. It would be really interesting to count up all the participants' hours. Enjoy your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great "nontraditional" check on deep comprehension in any subject is for the students to create Facebook pages (using a template of course - not actual pages) as a character or person from history. They must create "friends", dialogue on the wall, quotes, about me section, etc.

    Another template I've also used for "Quick checks" on comprehension while we read a novel or lengthy text is to use a Twitter template......140 characters or less.

    I have the templates around if anyone would like them... email me at KMSCHAD at msn dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chuck- have you seen Jane McGonnigal's TED talk? It's really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete